[Openstack-docs] Restructuring OpenStack-doc for Grizzly

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Sun Feb 10 22:08:12 UTC 2013

Hi Atul:

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Atul Jha <Atul.Jha at csscorp.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I had a suggestion and wanted to put forward.
>
> Currently our complete doc structure looks like this
>
> Installing OS
>        -- Contains install information on Ubuntu and Fedora
> Running OS
>        -- Contains concepts about OS components and install steps as well
> for Debian/Suse/Ubunu/Fedora to some extent
> Developing OS
> OS CLI
> OS API
> Glossary
>

> Will it be good idea to restructure Running OS and Installing OS this way
>
> Installing OS
>     -- On Ubuntu
>           -- Basic
>
>     -- On Redhat/Centos/Fedora
>           -- Basic
>    -- On Other OS
>           -- Basic
>           -- Advance
>
> Too an extent its already existing, my real concern is with the  "Running
> OS" part which has overlapping contents as in install instructions.
>
> Keeping Nova/Swift/Quantum guide with conf files and basic concepts behind
> it and updating it on regular basis will be much better. Lets take compute
> admin guide for example. I find it like having too much data and to an
> extent replication of our Install OS components in it.
>
> Compute administration guide
>        -- Concept of nova
>        -- Architecture
>        -- Hypervisor based config change
>        -- Available config flags
>

> What do you guys think?

Can you give an example of some content that currently is in the compute
admin guide that you think shouldn't be there because of the overlap with
the installation manuals?

I'm not opposed to a refactor on principle, but I also worry about users
needing to jump around across many different manuals, because the current
task they are trying to perform cuts across multiple doc guides. I think
some content overlap might be unavoidable. If you could provide some
specific examples about content that you recommend be removed from the
admin guide, it would help me understand this better.

Take care,

Lorin

--
Lorin Hochstein