[Openstack-docs] Help with build

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Aug 26 21:13:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 08/26/2013 10:18 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com
> > <mailto:aj at suse.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 08/26/2013 04:55 PM, David Cramer wrote:
> >     > On 08/26/2013 09:54 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> >     >> Do any Pythonistas know if it's possible to customize the lxml
> >     library
> >     >> to insert your own customized schema? That's a potential shortcut
> >     I think.
> >     >
> >     > I'm sure it's possible to point to an arbitrary schema. That's what
> >     > we'll have to do.
> >
> >     Thanks David!
> >
> >     How long will this take? This currently blocks Tom's work to go in
> and
> >     if your changes take longer to get in, we should discuss a short-term
> >     fix for this,
> >

> > Tom's not blocked. We've determined the cause of the error and I have a
> > patch I'll submit this afternoon. I'd rather get the right schema in
> > than rush the work.
>
> There're two issues here: The building of the manual is indeed fixed
> with adding a section.
>
> But I'm talking about the issue that tools/validate.py will not validate
> the single files. Isn't that one a fatal test and thus will not pass the
> gate?

Our gate runs tools/validate.py, true, and we need validation to happen at
the gate, yes. I'm saying I want us all to agree to the .rng schema not
just put in a terribly forgiving one.

I want a bigger view and more time to think through what we really want.
I'm currently not in agreement with David Cramer about what should be
xi:included -- it's really hard to maintain XML that points to fine-grained
inclusions if you're not the only author or you don't sit next to each
other and so on. So I am wanting a wider window for considerations for our
global contributor base.

I also want everyone to know that this particular patch has file names with
colons and parens and slashes in them, and won't validate any way, even if
the section is added, until those file names are changed. Since the files
are auto-generated, we'll need to change the file name generation portion
as well. I've patched the patch to try to get Tom unblocked but he'll have
to pick up where he left off and change those file names as well.