[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? Aug 23 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Aug 23 20:10:44 UTC 2013

I'm happy to report the latest in doc-land. As always, each Monday you can
come to our open office hours at 9:00 Pacific. This week we're changing the
doc team meeting frequency to every other week, Tuesdays at 1300 UTC in
#openstack-meeting. I don't know about your house but at my house we're
happy that school is starting next week! Bring on the books.

1. In review and merged this past week:

We fixed and released 25 bugs last week, 17 for openstack-manuals and 8 for
api-site.

The OpenStack Block Storage Admin Guide now contains only admin info and
install and config info have been moved into those guides. We fixed a bug
where the /trunk/ version of this guide was outputting incorrectly.

Shawn Hartsock got his first doc patch through for the VMWare docs, thanks
Shawn!

2. High priority doc work:

Our reorg is in full force. This week I met with four core teams to ensure
the OpenStack docs team can move around the Admin Guides per project into
broader OpenStack guides.

We still have over 200 bugs for Havana. With a shift to focus on docs and
bug fixing we sure hope to see lots of patches in the coming weeks.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:

Getting a lab set up for Shaun, our Cisco contractor, to test install
instructions for OpenStack. Example architectures are here if you're
interested: etherpad.openstack.org/havanainstall. He has purchased laptops
to serve as his "lab" with USB/Ethernet NICs.

We're piecing out the Object Storage Admin Guide to other books in
openstack-manuals and plan to stop creating that book separately.

OpenSUSE install instructions are in the repository for the basic install
guide. I have to give a shout out to Andreas Jaeger and Christian Berendt
for all the patches and reviews lately - thanks a bunch! OpenSUSE in the
house!

4. New incoming doc requests:

On the openstack-docs list, we are still designing two admin-level guides.
They are:
OpenStack Administration Guide – Covers system administration tasks like
maintaining, monitoring, and customizing an initially installed system.
Similar to the Operations Guide possibly.
User Guide for Administrators  - Covers user tasks performed through the
dashboard and CLIs for admin users.

Bring any and all ideas to openstack-docs to join in the discussion.

5. Doc tools updates:

The 1.9.2 release of the clouddoctools-maven-plugin supports CALS tables
markup. We're looking into a 1.9.3 release to add support for using Windows
for building docs locally and fixing a wrapping problem for the
Orchestration API. So it's likely we should wait for a 1.9.3 release before
changing all the pom.xml files for the havana release.

6. Other doc news:

We documented our review policies here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HowTo#Who_can_Review_Documentation.3Fto
ensure clarity for the new contributors and current docs-core members.
 We have over 25 people coming to the Docs Boot Camp and our host Mirantis
will video tape the sessions. The OpenStack Foundation is supporting us
greatly as well as Rackspace. Thanks supporters -- we're all looking
forward to it!