[Openstack-docs] openstack-manuals and gate changes

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Aug 16 19:40:30 UTC 2013

On 08/16/2013 09:07 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> Hi all,
> You may have noticed there has been a lot of discussion in reviews
> around the validation gate for openstack-manuals. Or perhaps you didn't
> notice, and that's why I'm talking about this on the list. I also need
> to straighten it out in my own mind. Writing helps. :)
>
> I like the idea of categories of gating jobs. Some are voting, which
> means your patch will get a red X mark. Some are non-voting, which means
> your patch will get an informative message telling you some of your
> submission isn't right.
>
> So I want to sort out what we want to test on new submissions:
>
> This is the most important one: Do all the books build? If not which
> ones are problematic and why? Ideally the gate test will build only the
> books that have changed files. Is this happening now?

AFAIK all books build - and the gate test only builds those books that
have changed files. Still, this needed a couple of iterations to get
right, so everybody should double check that there are no further bugs
in it.

> This is less important to me: Are we being careful about whitespace? If
> not which ones are failing the whitespace tests?
>
> And this one is problematic: Do individual files validate? With xrefs in
> the source file, the files will not validate in Oxygen. To me,
> validation can be non-voting as long as the books build.

> We can use 1.9.0 (or 1.9.2 when it's released) in the pom.xml but also
> the xlink markup would have to be changed. This isn't an
> overnight-flip-the-switch kind of change. We need to talk about
> policies. Let's have that discussion at the boot camp.

Please write this up for those that won't be there.

> Also, we need the "Failed" messages about images to be fixed in the
> build tool in order to make these logs more useful. David, definitely
> move this bug up on your priority
> list. https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1193491

Indeed, it produces lots of noise.

> In the meantime, let's make sure whitespace remains non-voting.

There's a patch from Tom that needs approval:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/41623/

Also, I suggest to get this one in - to produce less whitespace:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/41627/

> Any questions? I don't know if I clarified much but I wanted to ensure
> you know I'm paying attention and doing what I can to mitigate any
> difficulties getting good content through the gate.

I think we're on a good way forward.