[Openstack-docs] the plan the plan the havana doc plan

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Aug 1 20:52:44 UTC 2013

On 02/08/13 06:43, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org
> <mailto:tom at openstack.org>> wrote:
>
>     > The titles that we'll release Oct 17th, regardless of number of
>     bugs, are:
>     >
>     >  - Compute Administration Guide (contains Identity and Images)
>

>     I disagree with releasing inaccurate information, and would instead opt
>     for incomplete documentation. Very important distinctions in types of
>     bugs - those that denote something missing and those that denote
>     something is wrong.
>
>     Then, I believe that just verifying the accuracy of the information in
>     the Compute Administration Guide (i.e. we don't have bugs for many areas
>     that are potentially wrong) is going to take a lot of effort, and I have
>     yet to see where this will come from.
>
>     My suggestion would be to focus on the documents that we can make
>     accurate prior to release and publish the 'full library' at a later
>     date.
>

> So nice to have you in our time zone Tom. :)
>
> I think the actual design layout will help us realize that "releases"
> will look different for Havana. We won't have that redesign for a few
> weeks, so we're talking abstractedly but have concrete views already
> cemented.
>
> I'm asserting that the only guides that we can ever guarantee to be
> synchronized with released code are install and config (automated). All
> others are released continuously. Yes it means inaccuracies may exist
> but bugs exist in the code too. We can certainly leave out entire
> sections or chapters if they're just too buggy.
>
> I don't think that there will be a Havana Compute Administration Guide
> on October 17th, there will be a "continuously published from master"
> Compute Administration Guide.
>
> The ownership is what concerns me -- Neutron "owns" their Networking
> Admin Guide, so does Cinder. Nova and Swift, not so much ownership. So
> are you proposing removal of Compute Admin Guide and Object Storage
> Admin Guide until owners step up? I can certainly consider that here.
>
> I think we agree -- its just that the full Havana library is just two
> books. The rest of the books are on the shelf with a published date on
> them. I hope the redesign will help users understand this.

Using Jet Lag to advantage :)

So yes - I am leaning towards 'not having' as a consideration.

I disagree that we should be publishing inaccurate information.
If we can't verify that it's OK, it shouldn't be on an official document
on openstack.org.

What needs to happen, in my opinion, is a complete gutting of the
guides, and sections only added back in when they have been verified to
be technically accurate (potentially also copyedited, scoped and
structured ^_^). I disagree that just because something is 'continously
published' means that this step can be avoided.

Regards,

Tom