[Openstack-docs] Common content strategy?

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Aug 1 20:09:59 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Anne Gentle" <annegentle at justwriteclick.com>

Sections are also ideal for remixing the content if needed later. The problem if you just dump everything in say a chapter or appendix file (rather than splitting out sections into separate files) is that you are later restricted in terms of where you can include and use that content (chapter has to be immediately under the book element, appendix only at the end, etc.).

> Also, I think that manually indexing is just more work than we want right
> now. To me, there are way too many quality issues to have any resources
> work on an index. Plus, I only like human-made indexes, not machine-made.
> That said, I'm certain that the truly book artifacts will get an index,
> such as when we get a custom edit from O'Reilly on a book. Anyone else have
> a strong opinion?

I share your preference for human-made indexes but the problem of course is doing them well takes a large investment of effort, IMO. Put me down as no strong opinion on that one I guess :).

Thanks,

Steve