[Openstack-docs] Common content strategy?

Diane Fleming diane.fleming at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Aug 1 18:21:21 UTC 2013

diane.fleming at rackspace.com
Google-plus diane.fleming at gmail.com

From: Anne Gentle <annegentle at justwriteclick.com<mailto:annegentle at justwriteclick.com>>
Date: Thursday, August 1, 2013 9:49 AM
To: Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com<mailto:sgordon at redhat.com>>
Cc: Diane Fleming <diane.fleming at rackspace.com<mailto:diane.fleming at rackspace.com>>, "openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-docs] Common content strategy?

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com<mailto:sgordon at redhat.com>> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
> [...]

Yes I will look into this further, obviously I want to be very sure something isn't included from somewhere before removing it :).

> > >- Making it easier for me to transform/build with Publican (an admittedly
> > >selfish reason but listing for completeness :)).
> > >

> Sure, good reason!
>

> > >Looking at the state of the repository as it stands today I have noticed
> > >that a few instances of the following have been creeping back in as a
> > >result of the restructuring efforts:
> > >
> > >- Content that has become common (linked in to multiple guides) but not
> > >been moved to a location beneath the "common" folder (I'm ignoring here
> > >the case where the cli-guide now largely includes content from the
> > >user-guide folder as I believe the cli-guide is effectively now part of
> > >the user-guide effort?).
> >

> Yep, Diane's on it.
>

> >  >- Content in the "common" folder that itself links in content from other
> > >guides - effectively resulting in (1).
> > >
> > >I was wondering whether there are any objections to me continuing to
> > >submit patches to move common content falling into these categories into
> > >common (and of course update the relevant xi:includes)? There are by no
> > >means a lot of these but I feel like it's probably easier to keep on top
> > >of them as they come to light rather than waiting - that is if others
> > >agree it's not problematic for me to be doing this. I was also wondering
> > >if there might be a need to define a deeper taxonomy for content under
> > >the "common" folder?
> >

> No objections at all, I love this cleanup effort.
>
> For a deeper taxonomy, do you mean you'll put more folders in to help show
> where it's reused? Or some file renaming? Let me know your thoughts there
> so when I review I know what the taxonomy will be.

This was really an open-ended question. At the moment *most* of the files in there are named such that they are prefixed by the name of the project/technology they relate to, simply applying this consistently might be enough to tidy things up rather than going into any additional nesting of folders etc.

Big plus 1 from me for more consistency in naming. I keep meaning to do that clean up but I think I'll focus on doc bugs if you can work on a naming cleanup.

Thanks!

Steve