[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? April 25 2013

David Cramer david.cramer at rackspace.com
Tue Apr 30 18:20:15 UTC 2013

On 04/30/2013 07:57 AM, Steve Gordon wrote:
> While we do use Publican for our OpenStack documentation [1] I haven't been advocating for a switch in tooling used to build openstack-manuals, nor would I consider myself in any position to do so. At the moment I have been independently working on ensuring that it's possible to perform the transformations to build content from openstack-manuals with Publican in an easily repeatable fashion. This has been relatively successful and I am currently tidying up the scripting so that I can put it up on Github and do a full write-up of what was involved.
>
> It's been a valuable experience for me not only in terms of ensuring that we can contribute to and single source from the openstack-manuals project over the coming cycle but also in that I've been able to raise several RFEs/bugs against Publican to make such conversions easier for anyone attempting them in the future. There are definitely places where the two toolchains handle things differently (not necessarily better or worse on either side of the fence) and I think they'll become clearer in my write-up and form some useful discussion points particularly when looked over by those of you who have more experience with clouddocs-maven than I do :).

Hi Steve,
I'd be interested in talking about interoperability with publican and
learning what things came up. At my previous company, our build could
produce a "DocBook" output that converted the source to pure DocBook and
also added a Readme with information about what settings in the DocBook
xslts we expected the doc to be processed with.

Looking forward to seeing your write-up.

David