[Openstack-docs] Basic Install - please review

Ed Kern ejkern at mac.com
Sat Apr 20 19:40:57 UTC 2013

hey joe..

On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:07 AM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca> wrote:

> Ubuntu 12.04 Cloud Archive: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26954/
>
> I will have this finished by the end of the weekend. Maybe tomorrow.
>
> At the session I mentioned possibly dropping Quantum for nova-network to easily finish the doc. No need! I'm in the airport and with 10 minutes to spare, I got a working Quantum config! I learned a great deal of ovs/Quantum and will detail it in the doc.
>
> OK, major rewrite has been published for review. I really stripped the guide down to the very basics in hopes of bringing it back to a "basic" install guide

Well its certainly more basic in that it has fewer nodes...

> that other installation types can be based off of.

well from the quantum side the answer would certainly be no.

No sep management network.
No connection (even temporary for the compute nodes to reach the outside world to load packages)
muddling network and control functionality.

In the old form there was at least some room to say "Follow this guide except for the quantum bits"
Now that while you've accomplished your goal of lean and mean I'm going to need folks to go back
altering host files, altering the db and endpoints…as well as all the changes to re-create the mgmt network.

> If / once the technical details are correct, I don't mind expanding on the steps in order to give background on why the step is being done.

Im happy to run through the install again if you would like.  But on first glance this is a non-starter to easily extend.

Ed