[Openstack-docs] Basic Install - please review

Ed Kern ejkern at mac.com
Sat Apr 20 19:23:59 UTC 2013

On Apr 19, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca> wrote:

> I definitely see a huge value for the summits, but in this specific case, it was more being away from work and being able to focus on one task. Openvswitch is where all of my issues came from. The 3 or 4 Quantum sessions I attended didn't mention openvswitch at all. Maybe others did. I was able to finally get things working by taking time to read all current existing docs, look at a working setup that Ryan had, and understand what openvswitch is doing and why.

Don't get put off by that….Since ovs is the default/most used layer under quantum people we often say quantum when they actually mean both pieces.
Kinda like the plugins which were invented to confuse.   You may have the foo plugin for quantum but it still relies on ovs for a great deal of the actual
heavy lifting.

> In the end, I went through a number of different configurations before I found what suited my environment. What I'm currently working on now is how to get the most basic openvswitch configuration that will work on the largest number of "basic" installations.

Don't get too hung up on the "basic"  things like multiple namespaces should just become the norm and in fact will make some pieces of the doc cleaner.
Im also happy to work with you anytime you get hung up in here.

> After that, I want to write an openvswitch document similar to Florian's but cover some areas I thought he missed. I'll probably write it for the networking guide but am kicking around the idea of making it applicable to the ops guide. Thoughts?

it certainly belongs in the ops guide…but doing it in such a way that it goes in seamlessly with the current nova networking in there may be more frustrating
than its worth.

Ed