[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? Apr 3, 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Apr 3 14:50:53 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,
Here's all the news from DocsLand.

Gearing up for the Summit -- I just pushed the schedule yesterday:
Monday 2013-04-15 11:00  - Restructure documentation
Monday 2013-04-15 11:50  - Review Operations Manual and Plan Future Work
Monday 2013-04-15 13:50  - Translation management enhancement
Monday 2013-04-15 14:40  - Documentation for Newly Integrated Projects

Please let me know if there are any conflicts with that schedule.

1. In review and merged this past week:
We are going great gangbusters on doc bugs. But we have 49 targeted still
and 11 of those assigned. So there are 38 doc bugs up for grabs for the
Grizzly release. We won't release the docs until this number is a bit more
manageable.

The review queue has been bulging with patches. I'm impressed with both the
patches and the reviews coming in. Keep up the good work.

2. High priority doc work:
Bug fixing to get ready for Grizzly release, especially the Install Guides.
While the packaging isn't quite done, we need to be ready for the onslaught
of "how do I install Grizzly" questions. It's starting already. Please, can
someone work on the Basic Install guide?

Keystone changed to PKI by default and the CLI guide needs to guide
end-users through this.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1163938

3. Doc work going on that I know of:
Grizzly bug fixing. Lorin and Tom are doing great work and I especially
appreciate Alvaro Lopez reviewing many, many doc patches.
Block Storage admin guide. Joe Topjian has added NFS and Gluster driver
configuration sections.
Tons of requests for Grizzly install docs. Phil Hopkins is working on the
RHEL installation updates. Is anyone working on the Basic Install updates
for grizzly?

4. New incoming doc requests:
Lots of people want printed copies of the Operations Guide and the web
version is tearing up the web analytics charts! In a month's time, it is
now 4th highest in pageviews with the Basic Install in the number 1 and
number 2 spots.

Marco Consonni has a proposal for improving the Logical Architecture
information -- it's embedded in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1160757. I'd like for
someone to review and incorporate the documents attached to that bug.

5. Doc tools updates:
I have a request from Oxygen to change our licensing to subscription-based,
and I will work with the doc tool team to put this in place.

6. Other doc news:
Laura Alves, our GNOME Outreach Program for Women intern, has completed her
internship as of yesterday. I want to publicly thank her for all her hard
work this last three months. She did an amazing job. I will continue to
mentor her in any pursuits she chooses. Thank you Laura!

I'm looking forward to the Summit! Hope to see you there.