[Openstack-docs] OpenStack Install and Deployment Manual notes:Keystone

Dennis Leeuw dleeuw at made-it.com
Thu Oct 18 14:45:31 UTC 2012

Dear all,

First of all I would like to mention how nice it is to read a good
manual for a project that gives very good step by step install
instructions. Great work! Of course there are always some points that
could be better, so while going through the OpenStack Install and
Deployment Manual - Red Hat Ubuntu a couple of things popped up:

1. The title says Red Hat Ubuntu which should be Ubuntu I think
2. Table 2.2 in the PDF is running of the page
3. No PostgreSQL description (my version below)
4. After keystone-manage db_sync do exit, so in the next section you are
at a normal user prompt (as indicated by the $ sign)
5. About the Setting up Tenants etc. script section: shouldn't this be
placed before all other parts. So people wanting to go that route do not
key in all stuff manually to later find out there is a script?
6. In the verify commands the - signs in the options should be _
example: --os-username = --os_username

PostgreSQL Keystone Setup
=================
Make sure the /var/lib/keystone/keystone.db is not present ... etc ...
This example shows PostgreSQL.

Install PostgreSQL:
$ sudo apt-get install postgresql postgresql-client

Create a database use and a database for Keystone:
$ sudo su - postgres
postgres> psql
postgres=# CREATE USER keystonedbadmin;
postgres=# ALTER USER keystonedbadmin WITH PASSWORD 'passwd';
postgres=# CREATE DATABASE keystone;
postgres=# GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE keystone TO keystonedbadmin;
postgres=# \q
postgres> exit
$

The database is created and we have a privileged user that controls the
database. Now we have to install the packages that will help Keystone to
access our database.

$ sudo apt-get install python-sqlalchemy python-psycopg2

With sqlalchemy installed we can move over to Keystone:
$ sudo apt-get install -y keystone

Configure the /etc/keystone/keystone.conf file, first we make sure we do
not get messages about unhandled logging:
$ sudo sed -i 's/^log_config = /etc/keystone/logging.conf/# log_config =
/etc/keystone/logging.conf/'
$ sudo sed -i 's/^use_syslog = False/use_syslog = True/'
$ sudo sed -i 's/^# syslog_log_facility = LOG_LOCAL0/syslog_log_facility
= LOG_LOCAL0/'

Next we gonna tell Keystone how to contact our PostgresSQL database:
connection = postgres://keystonedbadmin:[passwd]@127.0.0.1/keystone

Follow rest of manual as for MySQL (admin_token, etc)

Thank you all for this nice work.

Greetings,

Dennis