[Openstack-docs] unclear and conflicting info in "Networking Options" page

dyocum at redhat.com dyocum at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 14:24:16 UTC 2012

Hi Anne,

Comments below:

On 10/01/2012 08:57 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> Thanks Dan. Comments below.
>
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM, <dyocum at redhat.com
> <mailto:dyocum at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     In the "notes" section on the following page it alludes to the fact that
>     OpenStack handles the creation of the necessary bridge devices:
>
>     http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/networking-options.html
>
>     I do not like the verbiage of the first sentence.  I would suggest the
>     following.  Replace this:
>
>     #####
>     All of the networking options require network connectivity to be already
>     set up between OpenStack physical nodes. OpenStack will not create or
>     configure any network interfaces (except bridges and VM virtual
>     interfaces).
>     ######
>
>     with this:
>
>     ######
>     All of the networking options require network connectivity to be already
>     set up between OpenStack physical nodes. OpenStack will not configure
>     any physical network interfaces.
>
>     OpenStack will automatically create all network bridges (i.e., br100)
>     and VM virtual interfaces.
>     ######
>

>     Then, further down in the same page in the "Flat mode", I see this:
>
>     "A network administrator must configure the Linux networking bridge
>     (typically named br100, although this configurable) both on the network
>     controller hosting the network and on the cloud controllers hosting the
>     instances."
>

> I think this could be re-written as:
> "A network administrator must create the Linux networking bridge
> (typically named br100, although this configurable) both on the network
> controller hosting the network and on the cloud controllers hosting the
> instances."

Actually, I'd change "network admin" to "system admin."

Sorry to be pedantic, but according to the IEEE Standards Association,
the use of the word "must" in the context above is inaccurate if the
bridge configuration is set up automatically by nova-manage (see my
comments, below) - I'd use the word "may" instead.

Also, the term "cloud controller" has no meaning for me.  It should say
something like "... on the systems running the nova-network service..."

> In the installation guide, which is a walkthrough for a single nic with
> Flat DHCP, This page describes the config/creation steps.
> Ubuntu:
> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/apt/content/compute-configuring-guest-network.html
>
> RHEL:
> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/yum/content/compute-configuring-guest-network.html

These two pages contain conflicting information (it's the same
conflicting info in both pages, at least).

I think these pages should be split into two sections - one section
describing how to configure the bridge device automatically (i.e., set
flat_network_bridge=br100 in the nova.conf file) , and one configuring
it manually.  I'd be happy to provide a first pass at this.  Should I
put it in the bug, below?

> We already recognize the limitations in the networking (bridging
> especially) documents at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/953151. Please do add
> your interest in this topic to that bug.
>
> We also realize there is much more integration work to be done with this
> bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1043241 pointing
> out the confusion between nova-network and quantum.

Even though Quantum is new and shiny, I'm not going to test it until
Folsom is released.

Thanks,
Dan

--