[Openstack-docs] public_interface documentation inconsistency

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Oct 2 01:49:37 UTC 2012

Thanks Dan for bringing up the areas that are confusing - esp with specific
links. I'll try to address below.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM, <dyocum at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm noticing that different places in the docs assign either a bridge
> interface or a physical interface when referring to the
> "public_interface" configuration option.  To wit, on this page in 2
> separate example nova.conf files public_interface is set to eth0 and
> br100:
>

> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/sample-nova-configuration-files.html

These are very specific examples from Mediawiki and Rackspace and are only
examples. These nova.conf files result in a very specific
networking/hypervisor configuration described in text above the nova.conf
files themselves.

> On this page it refers to vlan100 which, I'm told, is the name of a
> physical nic.
>

> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/associating-public-ip.html

On this page, yes I believe that is a physical nic.

> The description of public_interface on the nova.conf reference page is
> unhelpful in this regard, too (although the default appear to be eth0,
> which should be a good clue):
>

> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/compute-options-reference.html
>
> So, what should it be?  The bridge interface configured/built by
> openstack or the physical device name?

It depends on the type of networking you put into nova.conf. VLAN is the
default.
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/networking-options.html
For VLAN mode, Compute creates a VLAN and bridge for each project
For Flat Networking, br100 is set in nova.conf (the name br100) and nova
sets up the bridge.
In *Flat DHCP Mode*, OpenStack starts a DHCP server (dnsmasq) to pass out
IP addresses to VM instances from the specified subnet in addition to
manually configuring the networking bridge. IP addresses for VM instances
are grabbed from a subnet specified by the network administrator.

Flat networking is also slightly different depending on your hypervisor,
see
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/libvirt-flat-networking.html.
There are diagrams in this page that should be useful as well.

I realize networking is further complicated with the introduction of
Quantum this release. All the above examples show nova.conf when using
nova-network. If you want to use Quantum for virtual network configuration,
see http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/.

Thanks for your questions, these help us improve the docs, a constant goal.

Anne