[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc? Nov 14 2012

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Nov 14 18:14:46 UTC 2012

Hi all -
Here's the doc status update for this week. Our new weekly meeting
time of Tuesday 13:00 UTC worked well. You can read the summary [1] or
meeting log [2].

1. In review and merged this past week:
The biggest change for this week is the split between admin/ops docs
and API docs into two repositories: openstack/openstack-manuals and
openstack/api-site.

The stable/folsom branch is available for the
openstack/openstack-manuals repository now. The openstack/api-site
does not have branches cut for releases currently, we can revisit as
needed.

Huge thanks to the people getting the Volumes docs into shape. Lots of
great doc bug fixes as well.

Our review backlog is getting longer (which is a great thing to see!)
so do feel free to pop over to review doc patches at
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/openstack-manuals,n,z.

2. High priority doc work:
The DocImpact flag on commit messages has resulted in about 20 new doc
bugs (tasks) that are waiting for the code to land to become "real"
doc work. It would be great to keep up with dev more this release by
triaging those bugs to see if the code has landed.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:
Another review came in to add SLES and OpenSUSE packaging information
to the install guide, but due to our current repurposing of the
install guide they're going to rework that patch to cover more than
Object Storage.

We're also working to automate loading of PO files for translation.

4. New incoming doc requests:
At this week's doc meeting a request came in for a good "basic
install" guide - something to get you started successfully with
OpenStack including Networking on Folsom. Our Install/Deploy guide
needs more work, but probably should become an Advanced guide with
deployment considerations outlined. Both Emilien's guide [3] and
Bilel's guide [4] were praised and Emilien has kindly offered to
contribute it to the openstack-manuals repo. High marks for the
diagrams in Bilel's guide too, perhaps the basic guide can incorporate
diagrams like those as well.

5. Doc tools updates:
For the Folsom release, all pom.xml for admin guides are updated the
1.5.1 maven plugin version. This gives us Google Analytics data across
all the *.openstack.org sites. I'll be sending a separate email
outlining some of the highlights of what that data tells us.

6. Other doc news:
Still waiting hopefully to hear from our application to the Google Doc
Summit. Fingers crossed!

[1] Summary: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/doc_web/2012/doc_web.2012-11-13-13.06.html
[2] Meeting Log:
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/doc_web/2012/doc_web.2012-11-13-13.06.log.html