[Openstack-docs] Compute | Networking | Storage refactoring

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Jul 26 13:48:41 UTC 2012

Hi all -
I'd like to propose an approach to the organization of the docs site
centered around three "needs" for readers:

Compute
Networking
Storage

I believe the benefits of this top-level approach give us reuse of
content and easier finding of what people seek. It's not a huge
refactoring since I see it as:

Compute Administration
Networking Administration
Storage Administration

While these books do exist, the need is in the content itself to be
modular so it can be shared. For example, the Storage Administration
guide only describes Object Storage, not Block Storage.

One concern is I don't want to confuse Object Storage (Swift)
operators by inserting a lot of Volume information where they don't
need it. But I do believe that we need to round out the coverage of
documentation.

This question leads into, how do we document installing and
configuring networking WITH computing (quantum with nova)? How are
people getting this information now?

I'd love some feedback on how to move forward with the addition of
core projects but the lack of integrated how-to-configure
documentation. I'll be happy to propose a patch with the refactor, but
it will mean less patching of Essex, I believe.

Thanks for your input,