[Openstack-docs] [Docs] It's that time of the release!

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Aug 17 17:34:25 UTC 2012

Hi all -
Now that we're in feature freeze period, it's a great time to look at
what docs are needed for Folsom. You can help with documentation in
several ways. Here are some ideas.

_Review docs_
Go to review.openstack.org and review open patches on
openstack-manuals. Daily, hourly, weekly, any cadence will help. We
should be approving lots of changes quickly and patching patches to
get as much truth out there as we can. [1]

_Write API docs and samples_
There are several doc bugs opened to enhance Compute API docs:
Reboot, soft reboot: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1017543
os-quotas admin extension:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1029567
os-aggregates missing info:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1015821
Pause, suspend missing info:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1029560
server_diagnostics undocumented:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1035483
deferred_delete undocumented:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1035484
missing server_id in metadata call:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1035491
migration missing information:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1022653

_Write API tests for samples_
Vish has a patchset for a templatized test integration for API
samples, please help:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11263/

_New landing pages_
I've proposed a partial patch to update the landing pages, please
review and enhance as you see fit.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11232/

_Work on a Comprehensive CLI guide_
Starting point is here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11274/

_Make migration better to document_
One bug in particular points out how hard it is to understand live
migration and migration. [2] Please review
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11172/ and analyze whether a name
change would help? Not sure if it's in the realm of FFE but even good
docs can't help much when the command is a misnomer.

_Work on an Operations Manual_
See [3] for the blueprint and an outline. We've been discussing on the
openstack-doc list too. [4]

_Fix doc bugs_
See [5] for the list of doc bugs, assign yourself, propose a patch,
change the world. Do it again.

If a team is interested in a doc sprint day, I'd be happy to organize,
recruit, and write. Let me know.

PTLs, I believe I've been in touch with all of you for your "doc plan"
for the release, but definitely reach out for clarity!

1. https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/openstack-manuals,n,z
2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1022653
3. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/openstack-operations-manual
4. http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2012-August/000051.html