[cinder] Map Availability Zone to Volume Type

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 14:49:33 UTC 2023

On 01/09, Jahns, Jay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a multi-AZ environment where we launch instances with bootable volumes. When we specify AZ, we need to have a specific volume type in that AZ selected to launch to. Right now, the __DEFAULT__ volume type is used.
>
> Normally, that would work, since there is 1 backend in each AZ; however, we need to be able to use the key/value RESKEY:availability_zones to pin a volume type to an AZ, so we can use specific key/values in creating the volume.
>
> It is 2 separate backends in the environment.
>
> I see this bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1999706
>
> And this change:
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/868539
>
> Is there anything we can do to help expedite adding this functionality? It seems that it was supposed to already be in.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

Hi Jay,

I believe this is a valid and reasonable feature, unfortunately the
patch you are referencing has been abandoned, and as I have mentioned in
the review, I think the solution requires some discussion.

Not sure if this requires a proper spec or if it's enough to just have a
discussion in a PTG.

For example, I think the default volume type should be given priority
over other volume types if it can meet the AZ request (which the patch
doesn't do).

I would say that this requires someone to champion the effort leading
the discussion and implementing the code, unit tests and possibly
tempest tests.

Regards,
Gorka.