Nova conductor errors

smooney at redhat.com smooney at redhat.com
Tue Sep 12 09:09:31 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-09-12 at 09:34 +0200, Dmitriy Rabotyagov wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We are aware of this issue happening on compute nodes, when some
> instances have a lot of volumes attached. For this purpose we define
> following variable:
>
> nova_compute_init_overrides:
>   Service:
>     LimitNOFILE: 4096
>
> Same thing happening on nova-conductor makes me think of this bug
> related to heartbeat_in_pthread change[1][2].
the heat beat in pthread is only intented to be used in the api and it activly
breaks the nova-compute agent. i suspect its also not a good idea to have enabled
for the conducotr or scheduler as i expect that to behave like the compute agent.
>  IIRC, it was also able
> to leak file descriptors, that you can see as "Too many open files"
> error.
> Though bugfixes were backported to Yoga from what I see. But you can
> try adding "nova_oslomsg_heartbeat_in_pthread: False" to your
> user_variables and re-run os-nova-install.yml playbook.
if osa is enabling the heartbeat_in_pthread on the conductor or anything
other the the api and metadata its a bug  in osa