[ptl][tc][winstackers] Final call for Winstackers PTL and maintainers

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 09:35:03 UTC 2023

Le lun. 11 sept. 2023 à 11:03, <smooney at redhat.com> a écrit :

> On Sun, 2023-09-10 at 20:03 -0700, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> >  ---- On Fri, 08 Sep 2023 05:19:13 -0700  Takashi Kajinami  wrote ---
> >  > Let me bump this old thread because we still need some follow-up
> about the retirement of os-win.
> >  > I noticed that some projects have not yet deprecated the
> implementations dependent on os-win.I submitted a few
> > patches to make these implementations deprecated so that we can smoothly
> remove thesein the
> > future. https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/894237
> > https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/glance/+/894236
> https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ceilometer/+/894296It'd
> > be nice if the relevant teams can review these.
> >  >
> >  > My remaining question is whether we should mark all implementations
> for Windows support, which are not
> > directlydependent on os-win[1]. Technically we can go through individual
> projects and add warning logs and release
> > notesabout the deprecation. However I'm not too sure if that's worth the
> effort. If we can agree that we remove
> > supportfor running OpenStack on Windows Operating System at a specific
> release, then I tend to leave the ones
> > independentfrom os-win, unless it has any impact on user-facing items
> like config options[1].
> >  > I'd like to hear any thoughts about this plan, as well as any target
> release to remove Windows "host" support
> > globallyfrom OpenStack (maybe after 2024.1 release ?).
> >
> > Thanks for marking a few of the Windows support things as deprecated.
> This is the right direction for at least where
> > it
> > depends on os-win. I have started completing the os-win retirement and
> deps[1]. But we need to add a deprecation
> > warning in one cycle and then remove it in a later one (like you are
> doing in the mentioned changes). We did the
> > same in the Nova Hyper-V driver, which was marked deprecated in the
> 2023.1 cycles, and I am proposing it to be
> > removed in the next cycle, 2024.1[2].
> you bet me too it
> there are already two other nova cores (myself and one other) that also
> planned to do this after confirming with the
> wider team at the next ptg so this is highly likely to proceed early in
> the 2024.1 cycle.
> my goal in this regard would be to land the removal of both the hyperv and
> vmware driver before milestone one
> and perhaps even before the ptg if there is no object to it in our irc
> team meeting.
>
> i was waiting for RC-1 to be cut and the dust to settle before brign this
> up to discuss but it seams at least 3 fo the
> nova core team feel this is thr correct direction to take now.

What you just said. IIRC, we kinda agreed on the PTG to try to avoid as
much as possible any deprecations during the 2023.2 Bobcat release, which
is a non-SLURP release, as it would be skipped by operators fast-jumping to
2024.1, unless someone would forward-port the deprecation note to Caracal,
hence putting the burden on someone's shoulder.

Reinstanting my personal take then, which is, as a Nova PTL, I'm not 100%
happy with taking my burden.
Please, please, let's wait for 4 days and nothing or nooone will then get
hurt :-)