What is the difference between 4 and 8 virtual sockets to physical sockets?

smooney at redhat.com smooney at redhat.com
Mon Sep 4 16:10:52 UTC 2023

in general the only parameter you want to align to the physical host is the number of thread

so if the phsyical host has 2 thread per physical core then its best to also do that in the vm

we generally recommend setting the number of virutal socket equal to the number of virutal numa nodes
if the vm has no explict numa toploly then you should set sockets=1
else hw:cpu_sockets==hw:numa_nodes is our recomendation.

for windows in partcalar the default config generated is suboptimal as windows client only supprot 1-2 sockets
and windows serverver maxes out at 4 i believe.