Add netapp storage in edge site | Wallaby | DCN

Alan Bishop abishop at redhat.com
Wed May 24 20:47:11 UTC 2023

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 3:15 AM Swogat Pradhan <swogatpradhan22 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a DCN setup and there is a requirement to use a netapp storage
> device in one of the edge sites.
> Can someone please confirm if it is possible?

I see from prior email to this list that you're using tripleo, so I'll
respond with that in mind.

There are many factors that come into play, but I suspect the short answer
to your question is no.

Tripleo's DCN architecture requires the cinder-volume service running at
edge sites to run in active-active
mode, where there are separate instances running on three nodes in to for
the service to be highly
available (HA).The problem is that only a small number of cinder drivers
support running A/A, and NetApp's
drivers do not support A/A.

It's conceivable you could create a custom tripleo role that deploys just a
single node running cinder-volume
with a NetApp backend, but it wouldn't be HA.

It's also conceivable you could locate the NetApp system in the central
site's controlplane, but there are
extremely difficult constraints you'd need to overcome:
- Network latency between the central and edge sites would mean the disk
performance would be bad.
- You'd be limited to using iSCSI (FC wouldn't work)
- Tripleo disables cross-AZ attachments, so the only way for an edge site
to access a NetApp volume
would be to configure the cinder-volume service running in the controlplane
with a backend availability
zone set to the edge site's AZ. You mentioned the NetApp is needed "in one
of the edge sites," but in
reality the NetApp would be available in one, AND ONLY ONE edge site, and
it would also not be available
to any instances running in the central site.

Alan