[Storyboard][tact-sig] How to reach the Storyboard operators / maintainers?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue May 16 20:52:54 UTC 2023

On 2023-05-16 22:12:03 +0200 (+0200), Christian Rohmann wrote:
> a while back I opened a story / bug on storyboard
> (https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2010689) about
> improving email deliver-ability. I am uncertain if that was the
> right place to raise this issue or if there is another channel.
>
> In any case, could someone kindly point me or this suggestion into
> the right direction?

I guess there's a bit of an unclear distinction which could be made.
Responsibility for keeping the storyboard.openstack.org service
running is sort of shared between the OpenStack TaCT SIG and the
OpenDev Collaboratory. The former is best reached on this mailing
list with a [tact-sig] subject tag or in the #openstack-infra
channel on the OFTC IRC network. The latter is best reached on the
service-discuss at lists.opendev.org mailing list or the #opendev
channel on the OFTC IRC network. (There's a third group, the
StoryBoard developers, in the #storyboard IRC channel on OFTC, but
that seems to be orthogonal to the story you're asking about.)

Ultimately, the few people involved in each of those groups (myself
included) are pretty much all the same sets of folks any more as
loss of interest over time has substantially distilled the pool of
people why have any bandwidth to continue caring about it. For
integral things like how messages are being formatted by the
underlying software, we're in a bit of a bind since we're not
deploying the latest version of StoryBoard and need help redoing all
of the configuration management and deployment automation for it
before we can attempt to upgrade. If you're looking to assist with
maintenance of the storyboard.openstack.org service, we're always
happy to have more help.

I'll see what I can do about the CSS listing, but it looks like it's
because of other tenants sharing the same IP space in the cloud
provider donating the server resources so SpamHaus may or may not
grant us an exclusion for that flagged netblock.

As for the DKIM/SPF concerns, we currently don't do that for other
significant services we run either: particularly Gerrit code review
and Mailman mailing lists (including this one). There's been some
past consensus among our sysadmin collective that DMARC is a
calculated landgrab by freemail providers aimed at thinning the
market and stamping out private E-mail operators under the guise of
improving spam filtering, so we'd prefer to find ways to improve the
reputations of the services we run in other ways rather than caving
to monopolistic bullying tactics (and yes, I realize it's probably a
futile exercise of shouting into the wind, but I'm not personally
ready to admit defeat on that front).
--
Jeremy Stanley