Did StarlingX Break?

John van Ommen john.vanommen at gmail.com
Fri May 12 04:16:38 UTC 2023

I've installed StarlingX 10+ times using the iso "bootimage.iso" from their
website.

I opted to do a reinstall yesterday, and it keeps hitting the same error at
the same spot in the install.

I've been able to replicate the error three times using two different HP
servers.

The installer basically reaches the point where it's installing package
number 866 out of 1,217 packages, and fails with this error:

process [/usr/libexec/anaconda/anaconda-yum --config /tmp/anaconda-yum.conf
--tsfile /mnt/sysimage/anaconda-yum.yumtx --rpmlog /tmp/rpm-script.log
--installroot /mnt/sysimage --release 7 --arch x86_64 --macro
__dbi_htconfig hash nofsync
/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts exited with status 1

I did a Google search on this error, and there's a slightly similar error
reported on a RedHat forum from someone who had a bad ISO. But I know my
ISO is working; it's the exact same ISO I've already installed from 10+
times. In the event that I have a bad DIMM or a bad NVME, I tried an
identical server, and was able to reproduce the same error.

In an earlier message on the list today, someone reported that missing
repos may be impacting StarlingX, which definitely makes me wonder if I'm
being impacted by that.

I'm on the CentOS based version of StarlingX, version 7.0

I also tried to install from the Debian based version (8.0) and that one
wouldn't even boot properly. It basically asks you what type of install you
want to do, then crashes.