[heat][magnum][tacker] Future of SoftwareDeployment support

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Wed May 10 04:08:18 UTC 2023

Rabi pointed out one quite important point which I missed when I wrote the
previous email.

So I noticed we do not run any tests to evaluate SoftwareDeployment/Config
in heat CI.

We have a scenario test but it was disabled when we migrated our jobs to
zuul v3(during Ussuri)
and we have had no test coverage since then.

https://github.com/openstack/heat/commit/c8d1a9f901aa7b956c055668532967fd34202fe4#diff-52a39eb793da5f54635afbdceeeddc16482afb9ab022d981ebea7743dc81dc8cR446

Since TripleO has removed usage of SoftwareConfig/Deployment a while ago
and Magnum is
also getting rid of it, we'd have no test coverage left.

Unfortunately currently resources around the heat project are quite small,
and honestly I'm not
too sure if anyone can work on adding the test coverage soon. We have to
create a customized
image with some toolings, as I earlier mentioned, but that has been kept as
TODO for long.

So I'm looking for any volunteers to restore the test coverage in upstream
CI so that we can
test the feature, which is required for maintenance. If no one appears then
we likely have to
deprecate the feature before 2024.1, so that we can remove it in 2025.1,
instead of keeping
the feature untested and unmaintained.