[all][tc][release] Hold the Python3.8 dropping

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue May 9 03:57:46 UTC 2023

 ---- On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 12:19:37 -0700  Ghanshyam Mann  wrote ---
 > Hello Everyone,
 >
 > As you know the gate is breaking due to  Python3.8 drop[1][2], which we discussed in the TC channel
 > and meeting[3]. TC is preparing the guidelines on not dropping  Python3.8 in 2023.2 pti.
 >
 > Meanwhile, governance guidelines are prepared, this email is a heads-up to hold the
 > dropping of Python3.8 from your project/repo. Do not bump the min py version in
 > setup.cfg (do not bump version in python_requires ).

Updates:

* We reverted all the changes which dropped python .8 support[1], let me know/revert if any other projects have also merged the py3.8 dropped changes.
* python 3.8 tests have been added to the general unit tests template[2]. You will be able to see the py3.8 unit test job running in the check/gate pipeline.
* Governance changes to add Python 3.8 in PTI are under review[3][4]

[1] https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:oslo-drop-py38+
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/openstack-zuul-jobs/+/882175
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/882165
[4] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/882154