[tc][all] Technical Committee Weekly Summary -- April 28, 2023

Nikolla, Kristi knikolla at bu.edu
Mon May 1 13:52:24 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Here’s another edition of “What’s happening on the Technical Committee.”

Meeting
=======
The Technical Committee met on April 25 on the #openstack-tc channel on OFTC IRC.

The next meeting will be held on May 2 at 18:00UTC on Zoom. For more information visit https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Next_Meeting

Happenings
==========

Holding on dropping Python 3.8
------------------------------
We are drafting guidelines to keep Python 3.8 support in OpenStack for 2023.2. This was discussed during Tuesday's TC meeting as it was causing significant breakage to the gate.

[0]. https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2023-April/033469.html

New proposal to add release naming recommendations for package maintainers
During the last TC meeting we discussed the confusion arising from upstream OpenStack standardizing on the release names (ex. 2023.2) whereas some distros were favoring codenames (ex. Bobcat). We have a proposal up to recommend package maintainers follow our naming.[1]

[0]. https://meetings.opendev.org/meetings/tc/2023/tc.2023-04-25-18.00.log.html#l-103
[1]. https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/governance/+/881712

New Upstream Investment Opportunity: Ironic ARM Support
Thanks to Jay Faulkner for proposing a new investment opportunity that we just merged![0]

"The OpenStack community is seeking ARM hardware and system administrators or developers with background in provisioning ARM devices to partner with the Ironic bare metal team. The Ironic project produces the OpenStack service and libraries to manage and provision physical machines."

[0]. https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/upstream-investment-opportunities/2023/ironic-arm-contibutions.html

Changes
=======
    • Merged