[neutron][ovn] stateless SG behavior for metadata / slaac / dhcpv6

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Mar 20 21:18:00 UTC 2023

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 12:03 PM Slawek Kaplonski <skaplons at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > patches for this here:
>

> > metadata series: https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:bug%252F2009053
>
> > RA / NA: https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron/+/877049
>

> > Discussion in the patch that adjusts the existing stateless SG test
>
> > scenarios to not create explicit SG rules for metadata and ICMP
>
> > replies suggests that it's not a given / common understanding that
>
> > these "base" services should work by default for stateless SGs.
>

> > See discussion in comments here:
>
> > https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron-tempest-plugin/+/876692
>

> > While this discussion is happening in the context of OVN, I think it
>
> > should be resolved in a broader context. Specifically, a decision
>
> > should be made about what Neutron API "means" by stateless SGs, and
>
> > how "base" services are supposed to behave. Then backends can act
>
> > accordingly.
>

> > There's also an open question of how this should be implemented.
>
> > Whether Neutron would like to create explicit SG rules visible in API
>
> > that would allow for the returning traffic and that could be deleted
>
> > as needed, or whether backends should do it implicitly. We already
>
> > have "default" egress rules, so there's a precedent here. On the other
>
> > hand, the egress rules are broad (allowing everything) and there's
>
> > more rationale to delete them and replace them with tighter filters.
>
> > In my OVN series, I implement ACLs directly in OVN database, without
>
> > creating SG rules in Neutron API.
>

> > So, questions for the community to clarify:
>
> > - whether Neutron API should define behavior of stateless SGs in general,
>
> > - if so, whether Neutron API should also define behavior of stateless
>
> > SGs in terms of "base" services like metadata and DHCP,
>
> > - if so, whether backends should implement the necessary filters
>
> > themselves, or Neutron will create default SG rules itself.
>

> I think that we should be transparent and if we need any SG rules like that to allow some traffic, those rules should be be added in visible way for user.
>
> We also have in progress RFE https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1983053 which may help administrators to define set of default SG rules which will be in each new SG. So if we will now make those additional ACLs to be visible as SG rules in SG it may be later easier to customize it.
>
> If we will hard code ACLs to allow ingress traffic from metadata server or RA/NA packets there will be IMO inconsistency in behaviour between stateful and stateless SGs as for stateful user will be able to disallow traffic between vm and metadata service (probably there's no real use case for that but it's possible) and for stateless it will not be possible as ingress rules will be always there. Also use who knows how stateless SG works may even treat it as bug as from Neutron API PoV this traffic to/from metadata server would work as stateful - there would be rule to allow egress traffic but what actually allows ingress response there?

Thanks for clarifying the rationale on picking SG rules and not
per-backend implementation.

What would be your answer to the two other questions in the list
above, specifically, "whether Neutron API should define behavior of
stateless SGs in general" and "whether Neutron API should define
behavior of stateless SGs in relation to metadata / RA / NA". Once we
have agreement on these points, we can discuss the exact mechanism -
whether to implement in backend or in API. But these two questions are
first order in my view.

(To give an idea of my thinking, I believe API definition should not
only define fields and their mechanics but also semantics, so

- yes, api-ref should define the meaning ("behavior") of stateless SG
in general, and
- yes, api-ref should also define the meaning ("behavior") of
stateless SG in relation to "standard" services like ipv6 addressing
or metadata.

As to the last question - whether it's up to ml2 backend to implement
the behavior, or up to the core SG database plugin - I don't have a
strong opinion. I lean to "backend" solution just because it allows
for more granular definition because SG rules may not express some
filter rules, e.g. source port for metadata replies (an unfortunate
limitation of SG API that we inherited from AWS?). But perhaps others
prefer paying the price for having neutron ml2 plugin enforcing the
behavior consistently across all backends.