[ironic] [infra] Cleaning up old IPA images from tarballs.o.o

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Thu Mar 16 16:48:43 UTC 2023

The first half of the posted list are the ramdisk artifacts corresponding
to now-retired bugfix branches. I could see an argument being made that we
should continue providing those deliverables, as we do on PyPI -- I am OK
with deleting them even with that in mind, as they contain massively out of
date software (beyond IPA) that is likely unfit for running on production
servers anymore. These are potential targets for movement to a deprecated
location instead of deletion, if we feel we should continue providing them.

The second half of the list are extra dangerous; they are advertised as
builds from "master" branch, but they are very old and out of date due to
us no longer creating images for those distributions or using those tools
anymore. The CoreOS images mentioned are from 2016, to put this in
perspective. These should be deleted IMO, even if we find a softer way for
the retired bugfix branch ramdisks.

To be frank, if someone *is* consuming these old images, and deleting them
forced them to make a support contact with upstream, it'd likely end up
with a better solution for them overall than running years-old software on
their bare metal.

--
Jay Faulkner
Ironic PTL