[Neutron Community] Neutron OVN vs OVS

Karl Kloppenborg kkloppenborg at rwts.com.au
Tue Jun 27 20:37:49 UTC 2023

Hi Brian,

Thanks for a really detailed response.
In light of that, I will discuss with my teams about moving openstack-helm in line with this.

Thanks,
Karl.

From: Brian Haley <haleyb.dev at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 28 June 2023 at 6:36 am
To: Karl Kloppenborg <kkloppenborg at rwts.com.au>, openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org <openstack-discuss at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [Neutron Community] Neutron OVN vs OVS
Hi Karl,

On 6/27/23 3:34 PM, Karl Kloppenborg wrote:
> Hi Neutron community,
>
> Firstly, apologies if this has been asked before, a cursory search of
> the list rendered no information.
>
> At a high level, is OVN replacing OVS in terms of the preferred standard
> neutron deployment?
>
> I am seeing more and more about OVN on the mailing list and wondering if
> I should be investigating it to supersede OVS standalone.

Yes, in the Ussuri cycle a large effort was made to move all the
networking-ovn code into the Neutron tree, instead of having it be an
out-of-tree driver [0].

And finally in the Yoga cycle it was made the default for devstack [1].

Since then the two major distros, Ubuntu and Red Hat, have made OVN the
default in their deployment tools, so going forward it is safe to assume
it will eventually be in the majority for installations.

-Brian

[0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/neutron-ovn-merge
[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/devstack/+/791436