[manila] Vancouver PTG and Forum

Carlos Silva ces.eduardo98 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 19:42:09 UTC 2023

Hello, Zorillas!

I would like to share with you a brief summary of the PTG and the Manila
forum from last week's OpenInfra summit.

*Manila Forum:*

In the Manila Operator Forum session [0], we showed how the Ceph driver
could support clustered NFS. We had feedback from operators in different
areas. Many operators in the room were interested in VirtIOFS so they can
consume Native CephFS without having to expose the cluster to user
VMs/containers. The discussion extended into the Nova Forum session the
next day.

*PTG:*
Open discussion/operator feedback:

   - It would be great if we had this bug [1] fixed.
      - Ceph Mon IP changes not reflecting on exported shares
      - We are targeting the fix for this bug on Bobcat-2
   - Interest in share backups:
      - CERN is looking for a share backup approach similar to what cinder
      currently does. We have one blueprint open for it and the
implementation is
      currently going on [2]
      - This can likely integrate with a tool they are developing
      internally: CBACK
      - CERN will also provide feedback on the implementation of this
      feature and help us shape it.

For more details, please check the Manila PTG etherpad [3].

We joined the Nova team to discuss the manila work for supporting VirtioFS.
Please check out the notes for the discussion in the nova summary [4].

[0] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/manila-vancouver-forum-2023
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/manila/+bug/1996793
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/manila/+/343980
[3] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/manila-openinfra-2023