[ironic] Summit PTG Summary

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Thu Jun 22 17:25:10 UTC 2023

> --- scaling down Ironic into a tool useful at smaller scale (that a tool
> > like cobbler has a strong hold on today)
>
> Not clear from the etherpad: is it a question of scale or UX? I'm not
> sure a Bifrost installation is much larger than MaaS, etc (although we
> can always optimize it further, e.g. add sqlite as an option).

Yes to all? It's more that this is a space that we have very little market
penetration into, and I'd like to solve it. I think there's going to need
to be a nexus of documentation, simplification, and fighting back against
false perceptions to make progress here, but it's worthwhile because of the
size of the potential growth.

> The etherpad mentions "Easy enough", and ease of use is definitely the
> field where we Ironic leaves a lot to be desired. Possibilities that
> come to mind:
> 1) My "deployment API" proposal,
> 2) Adding a strict schema to our API and clean up confusing JSON fields,
> 3) An image building service,
> 4) The already mentioned network management,
> 5) More high-level API actions/workflows.

These are all really good ideas that go in the direction I was thinking :).

-
Jay Faulkner
Ironic PTL