[cinder] in-use volume retype error "Expecting to find domain in project"

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Tue Jun 20 13:09:39 UTC 2023

Hi,
while trying to reproduce the issue mentioned in [1] I stumbled upon
[2], I commented there but because of the "wishlist" importance I
don't expect too much attention.
I have a production cloud with Victoria where I see the same issue as
described in [2], trying to retype an in-use volume results in a stack
trace in cinder:

2023-06-20 12:45:52.900 1085571 ERROR oslo_messaging.rpc.server
keystoneauth1.exceptions.http.BadRequest: Expecting to find domain in
project. The server could not comply with the request since it is
either malformed or otherwise incorrect. The client is assumed to be
in error. (HTTP 400) (Request-ID:
req-6b412e96-a735-4b94-a5e6-8252dd949297)

I have also a test cloud installed the same way as the production
cloud with V and upgraded to Wallaby where this stack trace does not
occur, retyping an in-use volume just works there. I tried the
described workaround in [1] and added a [nova] section to the
cinder.conf, and that worked. There is no such section in the W cloud.
I checked the Wallaby release notes and the only thing related to
retype with ceph as backend is [3]. Could that make the difference here?
One difference between V and W I noticed was that in V I see two
volumes with the same name (but a different UUID, of course) during
the retype process while in W I see only one volume at all times. So I
assume that W handles the retype differently and it doesn't require a
nova section.
I'd appreciate any comment.

Thanks,
Eugen