[neutron][ptg] PTG summary

Luis Tomas Bolivar ltomasbo at redhat.com
Tue Jun 20 12:35:18 UTC 2023

Just adding a couple of pointers below

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 12:53 PM Rodolfo Alonso Hernandez <
ralonsoh at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> but all ports fall under the same one; this re-scheduling should share the
> ports among the other active chassis.
> * Action item: I'll open a LP bug and investigate this issue.
>
> *** Size of the OVN SB "HA_Chassis_Group" table ***
> The OVN SB "HA_Chassis_Group" increases its size indefinitely with each
> operation creating a router and assigning a new external gateway (external
> network). This table never decreases,
> * Action item: I'll open a LP bug, investigate this issue and if this is a
> core OVN issue, report it.
>
> *** Live migration with ML2/OVN ***
> This is a common topic and not only for ML2/OVN. The migration time has
> many factors (memory size, applications running, network BW, etc) that
> could slow down the migration time and trigger a communication gap during
> this process.
> * Action item: to create better documentation, both in Nova and Neutron,
> about the migration process, what has been done to improve it (for example,
> the OVN multiple port binding) and what factors will affect the migration.
>
> *** ML2/OVN IPv6 DVR ***
> This spec was approved during the last cycle [1]. The implementation [2]
> is under review.
> * Action item: to review the patch (for Neutron reviewers)
> * Action item: to implement the necessary tempest tests (for the feature
> developers)
>
> *** BGP with ML2/OVS, exposing address blocks ***
> This user has successfully deployed Neutron with ML2/OVS and n-d-r. This
> user is currently making public a certain set of FIPs. However, for other
> VMs without FIPs, the goal is to make the router GW port IP address public,
> using the address blocks functionality; this is not working according to
> the user.
> * Action item: (for this user) to create a LP bug describing the
> architecture of the deployment, the configuration used and the API commands
> used to reproduce this issue.
>
> *** Metadata service (any backend) ***
> Neutron is in charge of deploying the Metadata service on the compute
> nodes. Each time the metadata HTTP server is called, it requests from the
> Neutron API the instance and tenant ID [3]. This method implies a RPC call.
> In "busy" compute nodes, where the VMs are created and destroyed very fast,
> this RPC communication is a bottleneck.
> * Action item: open a LP bug to implement the same
> ``CacheBackedPluginApi`` used in the OVS agent. This RPC cached class
> creates a set of subscriptions to the needed resources ("ports" in this
> case). The Neutron API will send the port updated info and cached locally;
> that makes unnecessary the RPC request if the resources are stored locally.
>
> *** ML2/OVN + Ironic nodes ***
> This user has deployed ML2/OVN with Ironic nodes, and is using
> ovn-bgp-agent with the eVPN driver to make public the private ports (IP and
> MACs) to the Ironic node ports. More information in [4].

There is an initial WIP implementation to add support for L2vni/evpn to the
BGP driver, currently under review here [1]

> *** BGP acceleration in ML2/OVN ***
> Many questions related to this topic, both with DPDK and HW offload. I
> would refer (once the link is available) to the talk "Enabling
> multi-cluster connectivity using dynamic routing via BGP in Openstack"
> given by Christophe Fontaine during this PTG. You'll find it very
> interesting how this new implementation moves all the packet processing to
> the OVS datapath (removing any Linux Bridge / iptables processing). The
> example provided in the talk refers to the use of DPDK.

The idea for the ovn-bgp-agent for this is described in [2], and initial
(WIP) implementation is in [3]

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/ovn-bgp-agent/+/886090
[2]
https://ltomasbo.wordpress.com/2023/01/09/how-to-make-the-ovn-bgp-agent-ready-for-hwol-and-dpdk/