Monitoring

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Fri Jun 9 05:59:02 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jun 08, 2023 at 09:19:11AM -0300, Murilo Morais wrote:
> Good morning everybody!

Good morning,

> Guys, which monitoring stack do you recommend to monitor Host and VM
> resources? Or what monitoring strategies do they recommend?

This highly depends on your understanding of the term "monitoring".

To track resources used by OpenStack users/projects, I'd recommend
ceilometer. In addition to ceilometer, you'll probably need something
to track resource usage in infrastructure nodes, e.g memory usage, disk
usage, I/O etc. My recommendation would be to use something like
collectd or node_exporter.

Then you'd need a data storage for storing the metrics. Things like
gnocchi or prometheus come into mind.

The choice of the tools will probably be influenced by the available
knowledge, the way and where OpenStack is installed.

What is not covered above is: tracking if services are up and running,
any kind of centralized logging, etc.

Matthias

--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>