CRITICAL! RabbitMQ PackageCloud repos will be not more available from today - affected Openstack-ansible

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Jun 1 10:57:03 UTC 2023

On 5/28/23 02:27, Dmitriy Rabotyagov wrote:
> That is just ridiculous... We have just switched from cloudsmith because
> it's rotating packages too aggressively...

IMO, what's ridiculous, is to insist using upstream broken-by-design
repositories for each-and-every-component (this event illustrate it
well...), just because you want the latest upstream release of
everything for no valid reason (as if what was released 2 weeks ago is
not relevant anymore...).

On the specific case of RabbitMQ, this means using the upstream repo
version of erlang, meaning that everything else that is packaged in the
distro that uses erlang is broken.

If there was any valid reason to do a backport of a component in
stable-backports (for Debian), or even if it was a personal preference
of the OSA team, I would have happily done the work. Though never ever,
the OSA / Kolla team got in touch with me for this kind of things.

Another issue is that, if you want to do an off-line installation (ie:
without internet connectivity on your OpenStack servers), it becomes
really horrible to setup all the mirrors.

This broken policy is one major blocker for me to even use OSA, and one
good reason that makes me recommend against using it.

Is there a chance that we see the team changing this policy / way of
installing things? Or am I mistaking that this is a mandatory thing in
OSA maybe? If so, then I probably shouldn't have written the above, so
please let me know.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)