Version support matrix?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 26 16:47:37 UTC 2023

On 2023-07-26 11:05:40 -0400 (-0400), Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hey, all.  I'm trying to figure out which OpenStack versions
> support which Linux distros and versions, both guest-side and
> controller/compute side. Does such a document exist, or is there a
> generally good place to look for each version of OpenStack?

For a bit of clarity, OpenStack avoids using the term "support"
where possible, and tries to define what that word actually means in
some contexts in order to correct expectations:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20170620-volunteer-support.html

It sounds like you're more interested in what's tested, and for that
others have already correctly pointed you to the per-release PTI
documents which reflect the versions of GNU/Linux distributions and
versions of Python, Node.js and Golang the software is expected to
run on.

There is no equivalent for "guest-side" versions of things, because
OpenStack is largely agnostic to those sorts of payloads, and it
comes down to what will or won't work with the local versions of
things like the kernel on your compute nodes, the version of qemu
you've got installed, libvirt versions, and so on. In general
though, it should be safe to assume pretty much any GNU/Linux
distributions can successfully run as guests as long as you have
viable images for them and sufficient configuration.
--
Jeremy Stanley