[kuryr][tacker] fails to bump the k8s version to v1.26

Michał Dulko mdulko at redhat.com
Thu Jul 13 06:47:44 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-07-04 at 07:53 +0000, Ayumu Ueha (Fujitsu) wrote:

> Hi kuryr-kubetenetes team,
>
> Tacker uses the kuryr-kubernetes as the setup for the kubernetes
> Environment.
> In the Bobcat version, we will bump the supported version of
> kubenetes to 1.26.6,
> and when I tried to bump the version in devstack's local.conf by the
> patch [1],
> the following error occurred. (please refer the details to Zuul log
> [2])
> ==============================
> [wait-control-plane] Waiting for the kubelet to boot up the control
> plane as static Pods from directory "/etc/kubernetes/manifests". This
> can take up to 4m0s
> [kubelet-check] Initial timeout of 40s passed.
>
> Unfortunately, an error has occurred:
>               timed out waiting for the condition
>
> This error is likely caused by:
>               - The kubelet is not running
>               - The kubelet is unhealthy due to a misconfiguration of
> the node in some way (required cgroups disabled)
>
> If you are on a systemd-powered system, you can try to troubleshoot
> the error with the following commands:
>               - 'systemctl status kubelet'
>               - 'journalctl -xeu kubelet'
>
> Additionally, a control plane component may have crashed or exited
> when started by the container runtime.
> To troubleshoot, list all containers using your preferred container
> runtimes CLI.
> Here is one example how you may list all running Kubernetes
> containers by using crictl:
>               - 'crictl --runtime-endpoint
> unix:///var/run/crio/crio.sock ps -a | grep kube | grep -v pause'
>               Once you have found the failing container, you can
> inspect its logs with:
>               - 'crictl --runtime-endpoint
> unix:///var/run/crio/crio.sock logs CONTAINERID'
> error execution phase wait-control-plane: couldn't initialize a
> Kubernetes cluster
> ==============================
>
> I know it is not yet supporting version 1.26 of the K8S at the kuryr-
> kubernetes as for now, but do you know any way to avoid the above
> error?
> I suspect this is due to a change from version 1.25, but I'm not sure
> which one is affecting...
>
> Also, when will you support the K8S v 1.26 at the kuryr-kubernetes?
> Will the Bobcat release support it?
> Please kindly let me know if you know anything. Thank you.

Kuryr-kubernetes itself supports K8s 1.26 and 1.27 as we test it with
these versions as part of OpenShift. What doesn't seem to work is the
DevStack plugin, I guess due to some breaking changes in kubelet or
kubeadm.

I can advise to try to deploy DevStack with these settings on your
local machine and then you should have access to all the logs required
to figure out what is causing the problem with the version bump.