[all][tc] Proposals for reforming extended maintenance

Nikolla, Kristi knikolla at bu.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:15:30 UTC 2023

Hi all,

There have been quite a few discussions related extended maintenance in the last few months[0][1].

I have made a first-go at trying to write a policy for extended maintenance moving forward which tries to preserve the value being brought by extended maintenance while strengthening the requirements for keeping branches under that phase. [2]
This was based on multiple discussions that I was present at and feedback that I have received from various teams and community members with which I talked, and is my interpretation of that feedback into something that looks like policy.

I have also written two opposing policy proposals about what do to with the current branches under extended maintenance. One which attempts to apply the new requirements defined in the first proposal almost immediately[3], and one that aims for a more gradual EOL[4].

Please provide feedback on the proposals and help shape up the future of extended maintenance.

Thank you,
Kristi Nikolla

[0]. https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2023-June/033980.html
[1]. https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/vancouver-2023-em