[ALL] Why we dont have an official forum?

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 12:55:52 UTC 2023

On Mon, 2023-01-30 at 13:33 +0700, Nguyễn Hữu Khôi wrote:
> In my view,
> Having an official forum will make our projects grow faster and users can
> access Openstack easier.
>
> Take a look at K8S or Icinga. They are very good at helping people to
> access their platform by having a nice forum.
>
> I can help set up and configure the forum.
>
> I hope Openstack will become more and more mature and grow.
openstack has had 26 releases over 10+ years and many we would see it as a very mature comunity.
in fact it has past the hype/fast groth phases and is into the more stable grandule eveolving and sustaining
phase. the main reason we do not have an offical fourm any more is that we do not have
enough contibutors to maintain one. as was noted in the tread that is why ask.openstack.org was removed.

the opendev infra team is small and manages alot of service on behalf of the comunity
our prvious fourm attempt largely went unmainteined for years. if one was to be created again
it would need to be automated, maintaiend and hosted with several people commiting to maintaining it.

it would likely be better to collaberate with an exsitign froum or opensouce comunity then host our own
at this point. e.g. stackoverflow or perhaps a matrix/mastadon space of some kind.

the other problem is getting the people with the knowlage to partake.
many wont have the time to be active in such a fourm.

many of the active members of our comunity have been wearing 2 or 3 hats already and may not have
the mental bandwith to also act as support in an offical fourm and answer questions. that would leave
the questions eitehr unanswered or to experinced users/operators.

some of the more exprience operators may have bandwith to step in, in fact having an operator lead fourm might be more interesting as
if there is a common issue and/or a solution that they comeup with that could be feed back to the project
teams to fix or implement for them. its equally likely they will be busy running there clouds and the questions will be
unansered or poorly answered.

its a gap i just dont know if its one that can be simply filled.