[puppet] Retiring untested and unmaintained modules (murano, rally and tacker)

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Wed Jan 25 08:34:55 UTC 2023

Hello,

In Puppet OpenStack projects we have multiple modules to support multiple
OpenStack components.
However unfortunately some of these have not been attracting enough
interest from developers and
have been unmaintained.

During the past few cycles we retired a few incomplete modules but I'm
wondering if we can retire
a few unmaintained modules now, to reduce our maintenance/release effort.

I checked the modules we have currently, and I think the following three
can be first candidates.
- puppet-murano
- puppet-rally
- puppet-tacker

We haven't seen any feedback from users about these modules for a long
time. Most of the changes
for the past 2~3 years are proposed by me but I am not really using these
components.

These modules do not have proper test coverage and it's quite difficult for
us to catch any breakage and
honestly I'm not quite sure these modules can work properly with the latest
code. Actually we've often
caught up with the latest requirements several years after the change was
made in the software side,
and I'm afraid these are not well-maintained.

eg.
 - support for tacker-conductor was added 4 years after the service was
added
 - we didn't noticed that the openstack plugin was split out from the core
rally package for several years

If anybody has concerns with retiring these modules, then please let us
know. If we don't hear any objections
for a while, then I'll start proposing changes for project retirement.

Thank you,
Takashi