[horizon][xstatic] xstatic-font-awesome and xstatic-jquery.tablesorter leaving OpenStack

Radomir Dopieralski rdopiera at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 13:54:12 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

a few years ago we have a adopted under the OpenStack umbrella a number of
xstatic packages used by Horizon and its plugins, because they seemed to be
unmaintained at the time, and we needed to keep them secure. A few weeks
ago one of those packages, xstatic-font-awesome, got a new release by its
original authors – the good people at the MoinMoin Wiki project, where the
XStatic mechanism originated. That surprised us a little, and raised some
concerns, since the release wasn't done using the OpenStack process, so we
reached out to clear this situation. After discussion, we have decided to
remove two xstatic packages: xstatic-font-awesome and
xstatic-jquery.tablesorter from the OpenStack repositories and let them be
maintained by the MoinMoin Wiki contributors instead, together with many
other xstatic packages they use, so that there is no more confusion about
who is responsible for them. We will continue to use pinned versions of
those packages in Horizon, but we will no longer keep them as part of the
OpenStack project.

We will start the retirement process on the repositories for those packages
shortly.
--
Radomir Dopieralski