[cinder] [glance] Image certificate validation when booting from volume

İzzettin Erdem root.mch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 07:16:14 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

I have a problem about booting signed images from cinder volumes. I am
currently working on OpenStack Ussuri and I have Ceph storage as cinder
backend. I have completed the necessary steps to enable glance image
verification according to this document [1]. Now, I can create VMs from
signed images -if I do not choose the *create new volume* option-.

If I try to boot from volume, it throws an error message: "Image
certificate validation is not supported when booting from volume".
According to [2], Cinder already has an option to use signed images and it
is enabled by default, but it seems it does not work. As opposed to this,
[3] explains that Cinder has no ability to verify trusted images: *"As of
the 18.0.0 Rocky release, trusted image certification validation is not
supported with volume-backed (boot from volume) instances. The block
storage service support may be available in a future release"*

Is there any way to use trusted/signed images when booting from volume?

Thanks.

1 - https://docs.openstack.org/nova/ussuri/user/certificate-validation.html
2 -
https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/configuration/block-storage/samples/cinder.conf.html