Re: 答复: Experience with VGPUs

Oliver Weinmann oliver.weinmann at me.com
Fri Jan 13 15:41:05 UTC 2023

Hi Everyone,thanks for the many replies and hints. I think I will go for an NVIDIA T4 for now and try to get it working in our OpenStack cluster by following your guidelines @Gene. I will report back on the progress.Cheers,OliverOn Jan 13, 2023, at 4:20 PM, Dmitriy Rabotyagov <noonedeadpunk at gmail.com> wrote:You are saying that, like Nvidia GRID drivers are open-sourced whilein fact they're super far from being that. In order to downloaddrivers not only for hypervisors, but also for guest VMs you need tohave an account in their Enterprise Portal. It took me roughly 6 weeksof discussions with hardware vendors and Nvidia support to get aproper account there. And that happened only after applying for theirPartner Network (NPN).That still doesn't solve the issue of how to provide drivers toguests, except pre-build a series of images with these driverspre-installed (we ended up with making a DIB element for that [1]).Not saying about the need to distribute license tokens for guests andthe whole mess with compatibility between hypervisor and guest drivers(as guest driver can't be newer then host one, and HVs can't be toonew either).It's not that I'm protecting AMD, but just saying that Nvidia is notthat straightforward either, and at least on paper AMD vGPUs lookeasier both for operators and end-users.[1] https://github.com/citynetwork/dib-elements/tree/main/nvgridAs for AMD cards, AMD stated that some of their MI series card supports SR-IOV for vGPUs. However, those drivers are never open source or provided closed source to public, only large cloud providers are able to get them. So I don't really recommend getting AMD cards for vGPU unless you are able to get support from them.