Experience with VGPUs

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 07:55:33 UTC 2023

Hi Oliver,

Nvidia's vGPU/MIG are quite popular options and usage of them don't really
require cyborg - they can be utilized solely with Nova/Placement. However,
there are plenty of nuances, as implementation of vGPUs also depends on the
GPU architecture - Tesla's are quite different from Amperes in how they got
created driver-side and got represented among placement resources.

Also I'm not sure that desktop cards, like RTX 3050, does support vGPUs at
all. Highly likely, that the only option for this type of cards will be
PCI-passthrough, which is supported quite well and super easy to implement,
as doesn't require any extra drivers. But if you want to leverage
vGPUs/MIG, you will likely need cards like A10 (which doesn't have MIG
support) or A30. Most of supported models along with possible slices are
mentioned here:
https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/15.0/grid-vgpu-user-guide/index.html#supported-gpus-grid-vgpu

Regarding licensing - with vGPU approach you always license clients, not
hypervisors. So you don't need any license to create VMs with vGPUs, just
hypervisor driver that can be downloaded from Nvidia enterprise portal. And
you will be able to test out if vGPU works inside VM, as absent license
will apply limitations only after some time. And license type also depends
on the workloads you want to run. So in case of AI training workloads you
most likely need vCS license, but then vGPUs can be used only as
computational ones, but not for virtual desktops.
You can read more about licenses and their types here:
https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/15.0/grid-licensing-user-guide/index.html

To be completely frank, if our workloads won't require CUDA support, I
would look closely on AMD GPUs, since there is no mess with licensing and
their implementation of SR-IOV is way more starightforward and clear, at
least for me. So if you're looking for GPUs for virtual desktops, that
might be a good option for you. However, Nvidia is way more widespread in
openstack workloads, so it's more likely to get some help/gotchas regarding
Nvidia rather then any other GPU.