[ironic] Bugfix branches being EOL'd first week of Jan, 2023

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Wed Jan 11 23:14:50 UTC 2023

I truncated a sentence in the previous post.

> This change has been executed for Ironic and Ironic-Python-Agent.
However, due to an issue applying the ACLs for ironic-inspector, I was
unable to retire those bugfix branches for ironic-inspector today.. The
root cause of that ACL problem has been found and is being resolved.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 3:14 PM Jay Faulkner <jay at gr-oss.io> wrote:

> This change has been executed for Ironic and Ironic-Python-Agent. However,
> due to an issue applying the ACLs for ironic-inspector. The root cause of
> that ACL problem has been found and is being resolved.
>
> However, to ensure I'll be around after the change applies in case of any
> issues; I'm going to postpone applying the changes for ironic-inspector
> until tomorrow.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay Faulkner
>
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 2:56 PM Jay Faulkner <jay at gr-oss.io> wrote:
>
>> It's my intention to execute these changes tomorrow, Jan 11th. Please
>> take notice.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jay Faulkner
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 9:04 AM Jay Faulkner <jay at gr-oss.io> wrote:
>>
>>> OpenStack Community and Operators,
>>>
>>> As documented in
>>> https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/approved/new-release-model.html,
>>> Ironic performs bugfix releases in the middle of a cycle to permit
>>> downstream packagers to more rapidly deliver features to standalone Ironic
>>> users.
>>>
>>> However, we've neglected as a project to cleanup or EOL any of these
>>> branches -- until now. Please take notice that during the first week in
>>> January, we will be EOL-ing all old, unsupported Ironic bugfix branches.
>>> This will be handled similarly to an EOL of a stable branch; we will create
>>> a tag -- e.g. for bugfix/x.y branch, we would tag bugfix-x.y-eol -- then
>>> remove the branch.
>>>
>>> These branches have been out of support for months and should not be in
>>> use in your Ironic clusters. If you are using any branches slated for
>>> retirement, please immediately upgrade to a supported Ironic version.
>>>
>>> A full listing of projects and branches impacted:
>>>
>>> ironic branches being retired
>>> bugfix/15.1
>>> bugfix/15.2
>>> bugfix/16.1
>>> bugfix/16.2
>>> bugfix/18.0
>>> bugfix/20.0
>>>
>>> ironic-python-agent branches being retired
>>> bugfix/6.2
>>> bugfix/6.3
>>> bugfix/6.5
>>> bugfix/6.6