[openstack][cinder] Assign each storage backend to each AZ

Rajat Dhasmana rdhasman at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 06:53:37 UTC 2023

Hi,

>From the description, I'm assuming the instances will be boot from volume.
In that case, you will need to create a volume type for each backend and
you can use 'extra_specs' properties in the volume type to assign a volume
type to a particular AZ. In this case, if you're already creating one
backend per AZ then a volume type linked to that backend should be good.
Now you will need to create a bootable volume and launch an instance with
it. Again, the instance should be launched in the AZ as used in the volume
type to support your use case.
Also if you want to restrict volumes of a particular AZ to be attached to
the instance of the same AZ, you can use the config option *cross_az_attach*[1]
which will allow/disallow cross AZ attachments.
Hope that helps.

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html#cinder.cross_az_attach

Thanks