[tc][heat][tacker] Moving governance of tosca-parser(and heat-translator ?) to Tacker

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 01:51:57 UTC 2023

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 5:18 AM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>
wrote:

>  ---- On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:44:14 -0800  Takashi Kajinami  wrote ---
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > Currently tosca-parser is part of heat's governance, but the core
> reviewers of this repositorydoes not contain any active heat cores while we
> see multiple Tacker cores in this group.Considering the fact the project is
> mainly maintained by Tacker cores, I'm wondering if we canmigrate this
> repository to Tacker's governance. Most of the current heat cores are not
> quitefamiliar with the codes in this repository, and if Tacker team is not
> interested in maintainingthis repository then I'd propose retiring this.
>
> I think it makes sense and I remember its usage/maintenance by the Tacker
> team since starting.
> But let's wait for the Tacker team opinion and accordingly you can propose
> the governance patch.
>
>  >
>  > Similarly, we have heat-translator project which has both heat cores
> and tacker cores as itscore reviewers. IIUC this is tightly related to the
> work in tosca-parser, I'm wondering it makesmore sense to move this project
> to Tacker, because the requirement is mostly made fromTacker side rather
> than Heat side.
>
> I am not sure about this and from the name, it seems like more of a heat
> thing but it is not got beyond the Tosca template
> conversion. Are there no users of it outside of the Tacker service? or any
> request to support more template conversions than
> Tosca?

Current hea-translator supports only the TOSCA template[1].
The heat-translator project can be a generic template converter by its
nature but we haven't seen any interest
in implementing support for different template formats.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/heat-translator/blob/master/translator/osc/v1/translate.py#L49

> If no other user or use case then I think one option can be to merge it
> into Tosca-parser itself and retire heat-translator.
>
> Opinion?

That also sounds good to me.