[all][tc] python 3.11 testing plan

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Aug 25 08:16:29 UTC 2023

On 8/23/23 20:14, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2023-08-23 10:28:48 -0700 (-0700), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> [...]
>> Can we do the same for Debian experimental version? and just keep
>> them in our infra with the risk of unstability. That unstability
>> risk should be fine as we are just running some non voting testing
>> on those to test the next python version.
> [...]
>
> Let's set aside for a moment that there is no "experimental" version
> of Debian (there is an experimental package suite but it's intended
> for use mostly with the unstable and testing versions, it's not a
> complete distribution of Debian on its own). What we're lacking is
> someone to put in the time and effort to get minimal Debian unstable
> (or testing) images building reliably in diskimage-builder, added to
> our nodepool configuration, package mirroring in place (possibly
> cleaning up other unused distro versions to make sufficient room for
> that), and then adding jobs.
>
> Unlike, say, Ubuntu LTS or Debian stable versions, unstable and
> testing are constantly changing, getting new versions of packages,
> and (in the case of unstable) sometimes entirely uninstallable due
> to transition-related package conflicts. Keeping updated images for
> that also means having someone who is going to spend some of their
> time keeping on top of the image build logs from Nodepool, and
> making the constant adjustments and fixes it needs so that we
> continue to have fresh images for that platform. If volunteers step
> forward for this sort of thing then we generally don't tell them to
> go away, but also if they disappear for an extended period of time
> we absolutely will delete and clean it all up.
>
> So it's fine to talk about how "easy" this would be, but who's
> planning to do it?

I kind of like the idea in this thread to have a venv where we would run
the latest RC version of the interpreter. This would be lighter than
maintaining another image, no? At least this way, this gives upstream
OpenStack the opportunity to be closer to distros, where as currently,
the project is lagging 1 year and 1 interpreter version behind...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)