[all] Mass retirement of old branches due to config errs

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Thu Aug 24 14:27:14 UTC 2023

On 8/23/23 22:21, Jay Faulkner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ironic is one of the major offenders remaining in the work to cleanup
> Zuul config errors. To resolve these issues, it's my plan to retire any
> impacted branches unless a contributor volunteers to clean them up. I
> will give folks until at least September 1, 2023, to object before I
> begin to take action.

In fact, this makes me question how it works in OpenStack in general. It
feels like many projects are doing their ways, and deprecating old
branches in different ways. Sometimes, this happens when a CVE can't be
addressed in a proper way.

So I wonder: what's the promised lifecycle of a release, and why this is
different depending on the project? Aren't we committed to maintain at
last the latest 3 releases? If so, then deprecating any branch before
Yoga is currently fine, no? If so, why are projects keeping stable
branches opened for longer?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)